Wednesday, 9 January 2013

The Meats I Tasted

As a meat lover, I have eaten various meats from various sources.

During the period of January 2005 - September 2006, I shocked everyone within my circle by becoming a lacto-vegetarian.

Here is what defines a lacto-vegetarian:

A lacto vegetarian (sometimes referred to as a lactarian; from the Latin lactis, milk) diet is a vegetarian diet that includes dairy products such as milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, ghee, cream, and kefir, but excludes eggs. Lacto-vegetarians also abstain from cheeses that include animal rennet and yogurts that contain gelatin. The concept and practice of lacto-vegetarianism among a significant number of people comes from ancient India and was originally based on religious beliefs

Why was I a vegetarian for that period?

It was not for any religious purpose. In fact, I was an Atheist for quite a number of years. I decided to believe in the existence of God (I am a Saivite) only after many years of questioning, seeking, experimenting, which started during my teen years.

So my choice of being a vegetarian for over 1.5 years had nothing to do with my religion.

I just wanted to put myself in a situation to test my own self control. To know if my mind was stronger than my appetite. Yes. It was indeed stronger because I can abstain from what I love most about food.

Once I was satisfied, I returned to my natural form. A typical omnivore.


Diet and perception about it varies according to culture and environment. What is good for you, may not be good for others. What is bad for them, may not be bad for you.

Here are the list of animal meats I have consumed. Pictures taken from Google.



Ostrich

Buffalo
Quail

Cockle

Cow

Crocodile
Balitong (Sea Shell)

Deer
Clam
Flying Fox
Duck


Goat



Monitor Lizard

Pig

Porcupine

Muntjac (Kijang)

Scallop

Sea Crab

Sheep

Turkey

Jungle Fowl
Green Pigeon

Wild Boar

Chicken

Rabbit

Mud Crab





Also, different types of fishes, prawns, and squids. I also love fish eggs. Hopefully, I did not miss out something from my list.

I stopped the consumption of beef after a few trials. This was many years ago. My ancestors revered cows and treated them with respect due to their role in agriculture. It is also against my clan tradition to consume this animal. The consumption of beef is the only regret I have on my meat venture. It was not worth the try.

My advice to Tamils who stick to their tradition is "Do not eat beef"

For some weird reasons, my body is rejecting pork since 2008. Whenever I consume it, I end up vomiting it out. Why? I don't know. I was also warned not to consume it anymore. This is another story. So I have just quit pork.

There are also many animal meat which I do not want to see on my plate. For example, cats, dogs, snakes, whales, elephants, apes.
- Comments

No comments:

Post a Comment